Lately, I have had been reminded that knowledge, language and communication don’t necessarily go hand in hand, and that not everyone knows about or understands energy and the subtle body.
In the four stages of psychological learning model, a person moves from unconscious incompetence, to conscious incompetence, conscious competence and then finally to unconscious competence. At first we don’t know how little we know, but then we become aware of it and consciously increase our knowledge and skills. Before long, we are automatically skilful without consciously thinking about it – thus are we unconsciously competent.
While we generally want to achieve that final learning stage of unconscious competence, when it comes to teaching there is a whole new level of learning that is required: awareness of where our students, clients and interested fellows are on the knowledge and experience ‘scale’.
In my healing work I have recently caught myself assuming conscious incompetence with clients – that means people know about energy and the subtle body but don’t quite know what to do with that knowledge to benefit them.
However, what I’ve found lately is that many folk seeking healing or spiritual guidance are at the unconscious incompetent stage: they know little or nothing about energy models and health. And really, why would they? Sadly, vital energy is not taught in schools and not generally part of our Western cultural taken-for-granted knowledge.
In our evolution and the changing eon that we currently bridge, more and more people are waking up to their spiritual beingness. That means that folk are becoming aware of more than their mundane material existence and looking for meaning and answers in the natural environment, the unseen worlds and their own spiritual being.
In this early awakening stage people may experience all manner of physical, emotional and psychical phenomena, from aches and pains, vision impairment, headaches, colds, distress, visions, seeing lights, auras around objects, plants, animals and people, dreams of past lives, guides, visitations, angels, spirit, hot, cold feelings and so on.
Some people just have a curiosity piqued or find that synchronistic events lead their way. Whatever the mode of prompting, it seems that energy healers, psychics, mediums and similar practitioners are in increasing demand to assist people who aren’t satisfied with the answers that mainstream society provides or who want an integration of both.
I find this happening more and more. People with no former understanding of energy, psychism, spirit or the subtle body are coming for healing and guidance. So too, more and more children are being brought in to visit with me or I’m hearing about parents who are concerned about their children seeing, feeling, sensing in new ways.
All this means that as practitioners we are frequently compelled out of our unconscious competence into our aware teacher role. It’s a role that we may not be ready for or even have considered. To be honest, I am only now moving into my conscious competence aspect of that role, and it’s such an important one.
These are some of the questions that I’ve been asked recently – you too may have encountered some of them:
- What is energy?
- Is it only in me? Do others have it?
- What is an aura? Is that the same as an etheric field?
- What’s this ascension that everyone is talking about?
- Is spirit a ghost and are they all bad?
- What is spirit?
- Can you see energy?
- What does energy feel like?
- How does energy make me feel better or worse?
- What is a light body?
- What is energy healing?
- Someone told me I should manage my energy better – what does that mean?
- Is there such a thing as negative energy?
- Do I need to protect my energy?
- Really, can this energy get stuck? I mean, inside me?
- Does stuck energy stay stuck? What can I do about that?
- I think I have this black mass inside me – is that energy or something else?
- I think I’m possessed…
- What are chakras?
- What is meditation? Is all meditation the same?
- What is intuition? Is that the same as instinct?
- What do you mean that you can see energy? What does it look like?
- Why does my body jerk when I have healing?
- Sometimes I see lights when I have healing – what does that mean? Do I have to go to the optometrist?
- I felt hands on my head but you were down by my feet – what does that mean?
- What is an energy cord? Is it a thing inside me? How do I get rid of it?
- What does astral mean – is that the same as aura?
- My child has started having strange experiences and seeing stuff in the house – what does it mean?
- Will it hurt when I have healing?
- Can anyone use energy for healing?
So many precious questions that I could write pages and pages, and I’m sure you’ve had them and others besides. Or you may have questions of your own.
How do you answer them? Are you prepared for when your clients begin asking these questions? For certainly, more and more folk will be drawn to the energy-based modalities of health and wellbeing.
Over the next wee while, I am going to use this blog to answer some of the questions to the best of my knowledge. I know it will aid me in my work, and I expect that you’ll have questions and/or answers you could add to my considerations – I’d like to hear them.
Meantime, happy days friends – and happy dissemination of your unconscious competencies!